I’ve been into Learner Autonomy for a while, yet the concept is quite vague still. I guess it’s because there is no concrete method or framework for teaching. It’s an idea of how to encourage learners to be autonomous inside and outside of class.
I would like to keep below in mind:
- Learners set their own goals in learning
- Learners make decisions for what to do to achieve their goal
- Learners reflect and evaluate their learning.
- Teachers are facilitators and language advisers.
Do they really make them autonomous? That’s the question.
Let’s look at my own class:
- No. I set learners’ goals for each lesson.
- No. I instruct them on what to do to achieve their goals.
- Yes. They write a learning log after class.
- No. I both teach and facilitate.
Oh, no. I implement only one out of four!?
The question is, how can I observe a teacher who implements it? I’ll keep looking on YouTube!